Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Flash of Memory

A Flash of Memory was written by Issey Miyake. She is a Japanese clothing designer but her article was about much more. She explained how in April of this year President Obama eliminated nuclear weapons. He declares that he wants peace without these harmful weapons. Issey Miyake agrees completely. When hearing about President Obama's speech, "a flash of memory" hit her. "On Aug. 6, 1945, the first atomic bomb was dropped on my hometown, Hiroshima. I was there, and only 7 years old. When I close my eyes, I still see things no one should ever experience: a bright red light, the black cloud soon after, people running in every direction trying desperately to escape — I remember it all. Within three years, my mother died from radiation exposure." I believe no one should go through that kind of torture.

When reading about Issey's experience, I agree with President Obama with vanishing these nuclear weapons. Most nuclear weapons do unnecessary damage. For example, Issey's mom, she didn't have to die in this situation. If the weapons was weaker, more lives would have been saved. I personally believe no weapons should be used. In no way should anyone be harmed because its not our right to declare who lives or dies. That decision is not in our hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment