Sunday, April 25, 2010

Globalization

So globalization, I know always start my blogs out with “So…” but that is what starts my thinking process, but anyways globalization. I literally had no idea what this term meant and I had never actually heard of it before, so I did the logical thing and looked it up on Wikipedia for a reliable answer: “…a process by which regional economies, societies, and cultures have become integrated through a globe-spanning network of communication and trade.” After reading this definition I truthfully still did not know what globalization was, but I do know that it has been around a while-it is not a brand new idea. From what I understand it really is not even a thought up method but something that happens almost naturally that has been given a name. Some other definitions were phrases like, “the reduction and removal of barriers between national borders in order to facilitate the flow of goods, capital, services and labor...” or "the diminution or elimination of state-enforced restrictions on exchanges across borders and the increasingly integrated and complex global system of production and exchange that has emerged as a result." Globalization seems to have both good and bad points to it, and is quickly picking up speed in the business world. So globalization, it has to do a lot with trading and keeping countries on friendly terms with one another and preventing war. This is always a positive thing because the last thing we need is World War III. Not to say if we did not practice globalization we would have another world war, but it just helps keep countries on good terms. A danger I think to globalization is that with all of these different culture floating back and forth everything will get less personal and less unique. One culture is bound to dominate over the others (most likely American) and that is no fun. And if one country has an economic collapse what happens to the other countries connected to it? So like I said there are good aspects and bad, but even if the bad did outweigh the good would we be able to stop it? Globalization I mean. It is pretty natural to want to trade back and forth with different countries and have new products and ideas available. I guess we could adjust some of our trading guidelines: elimination of tariffs; creation of free trade zones with small or no tariffs; reduced transportation costs, especially resulting from development of containerization for ocean shipping. Anyways I kinda like globalization because it allows us to partake of other cultures and their way of life. It helps us learn about other countries through their products and merchandise which I think is good for Americans because we do not really reach out that much it seems. We just tend to dominate and think of ourselves as higher and not want to expand outside our country. I think we should learn that not everyone is obsessed with us like we our with ourselves.

1 comment:

  1. I am commenting today because I have too much to do tommorow and I will forget.

    Cecily. I am disappointed! I thought you would have a strong opinion on globalization but you didn't! I am shocked! I do agree with some of your statements, however, I disagree with others. Globalization is a good thing culturally, as you said. Yet, only to a certain extent. Every culture thinks theirs' is the best. It is not just Americans. That is why we have practices and religions. Globalization is a tool to be exposed to different cultures. This is key to economic development and social networking as well.

    I have to disagree with one statement. "(Americans) tend to dominate and think of ourselves as higher and do not want to expand outside our country." I completely disagree! America is the most diverse and welcoming nation in the world. We embrace other cultures, as a majority, more so than any country on the Earth. We evoke a strong sense of nationalism, but not at the expense of another's culture. Why do you think we are so politically correct all of the time?

    That's all. Good job Cecily.

    ReplyDelete