Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fin

This year I learned that I am apart of something much bigger than myself. Before this year I had always believed it but now I know it. I left not only a school but a family when I chose to make the transition to Johns Creek. I left an entire life behind to take a risk I wasn’t sure would be worth it. However, I can say without hesitation that this year has been the best year of my life. I have evolved into an entirely new person and if it weren’t for the people I’d met this year I am not sure who I’d be right now.


It’s funny because the first part of this year was excruciatingly hard at times; I would find myself alone in my room working on homework only to realize that I was really alone and that my sister, the only person who’d been with me through everything, wasn’t around. It didn’t help that everyone I knew felt betrayed when I left and at first wouldn’t talk to me. I didn’t have a friend in the world my first few weeks of school and I thought I’d made my very first mistake. It wasn’t until I was cast in Eleemosynary that I once again thought my life had any meaning; during Eleemosynary I met five other people with whom I could at least call acquaintances and later one that I can call a friend. It was Eleemosynary that gave me the chance to grow as a performer and a person. By being cast as Dorothea I was given a new sense of confidence in myself and a new outlook on life. I learned to be okay with the person that I am despite the fact that there are people that don’t like me simply because of who I am.


Yet, even with the existence of people that don't like me there those that do. People that love me for who I am and desire to know me. It was from those people that I learned how to stay close to people I don’t see everyday. For the first time in my life I stayed closed to friends that I’d left behind. For me as a person it’s easier to leave and forget the people I leave so as to move forward with life and not to think of the past. Yet, my best friend Rachel is still a very current part of my life. Without her I would probably go a little crazy, it was her phone calls and frequent visits that help keep me stable especially when I was feeling lost or worried when it came to the future. If it hadn’t been for Rachel to remind me of what love is I’d probably have made some pretty poor decisions and it’s because of my best friend my sister that I am confident I can handle any curve balls life throws my way.


Curve balls that seem to take multiple forms; the most recent one being the news of Mr. Glenn leaving. I’m not really sure how to write what it is Mr. Glenn has given me. I almost don’t want to simply because nothing I put forth will really be exactly what I mean. I’ve rewritten this paragraph more times than I care to admit when all I simply want to say is thank you. It is because of Mr. Glenn that I had a reason for coming to school everyday and it’s because of Glenn that I’m the happiest I’ve ever been. For most people in this class Glenn is only their english teacher but Glenn was and is my director, my fearless leader, my tech teacher, and most recently my counsellor. I don’t think I know the words to express what it is I’ve learned from him. He is a special person that has taught me by example what it looks like to captivate an audience, what it means to keep calm under stressful situations (sort of), and what it sounds like to speak with purpose. Mr. Glenn has educated me and because of him I have learned more than most people learn in a lifetime.


A lifetime I can know I am ready to handle and enjoy because this year has been a lot of things and though I’m not sure what many of those things mean I know that I’ve learned the skills I need to conquer any hinderances that I encounter. I know this because most of all I learned to have confidence in who I am.

1 comment:

  1. You know how I feel about all this, Sarah. You are an absolutely incredible person and I'm so glad we've become closerrrrrr.

    ReplyDelete