Sunday, March 14, 2010

Class Journal

Now, for the time I have been dreading: the class entry. Scary movie music this is when I begin to drift away and accomplish nothing for the next 30 minutes of my life, then after that allotted time, I shall discuss a topic of little importance such as As I lay dying. I will try my hardest not waste many words, but at this moment I don’t think I will be able to stay true to that statement. I apologize. Okay, allotted time is up, I need to focus.

So, this week we finished The Great Gatsby which was very bitter-sweet. I was glad that the book came to a conclusion but this happiness soon came to a halt when I realized that from now on we would be focusing our attention solely onto As I Lay Dying: shoot me in the face. That was joke, please don’t do that. Ok, I feel like everyone bad mouths As I Lay dying, and I’m starting to feel guilty so I won’t discuss my hatred for the novel any longer. Anyways, this week we also read a poem entitled The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock. I thought the poem was a bit confusing at first, but after reading it a second time out loud, I feel like I got somewhat of a grasp on the meaning. The poem was about a man who seems to love a woman but is too afraid and timid to “disturb the universe” to be with her. I thought it was very interesting because many times, not just in examples of love, people are too concerned with the outcome of their actions. For example, Prufrock’s fear of alienation and rejection keep him from striving after what he really loves. He is afraid to take the risk and pronounce his love for this woman because he is afraid that she will ultimately reject him. How many times do we play it safe in life and go the easy way out? For me, it is very often. I don’t consider myself much of a risk taker because I always over think things which lead me to fear the possible consequences and disappointments that may come as a result of my risky actions. I definitely think my life would be going down a different track if I didn’t have a fear of the future. Prufrock has a dream of what he wants in life but he is too concerned with the product of his actions than the actual process of getting this woman to love him. If he just lived in the here and now, he would have a greater chance at love than if he just sits alone dreaming of what he wishes to happen. As the old saying goes, actions speak louder than words. O, I think that is about it for this journal. See ya next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment