Sunday, March 7, 2010

Free Entry

This week was a really short week for me at school. I only had to go for two days because I had a swim meet on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in Austin. This was my big end of season meet that I’ve been so excited for. My flight over to Austin was on Wednesday morning at eight thirty. When we got there we checked into the hotel and then we went to the pool to check out the facility and swim a little bit to loosen up. The meet was at the aquatic center at the University of Texas at Austin. After we warmed up a little bit we went to the grocery store to get snacks for the next couple of days. We went to a Mexican grocery store called Fiesta and it was a little weird because I’m used to Publix and Kroger which they didn’t have there. After that we went back to the hotel and rested for the rest of the night and ate dinner. We ate at Applebee’s which didn’t go over too well with me and the people I was rooming with. All of us hated our meals and it was kind of gross. We didn’t end up eating that much, which wasn’t good because we had to swim the next morning. We paid for our food and then went back to the hotel where I bought a salad to complete my unsatisfying meal. The next morning we woke up at six to go over to the pool. I warmed up and got ready for my two swims that day, the 100 fly and the 200 individual medley. My 100 fly was okay because I went a new best time, but my 200 I.M. was a little disappointing. This meet was probably the most impressive meet I’ve ever been to because most of the Olympic team was there swimming. My favorite swimmer has always been Natalie Coughlin since the time I was about ten or eleven and I got to see her swim all of her best events: the 100 fly, 100 back, and 100 free. On the next day, I swam the 100 back and the 200 free. My 100 back was okay. It wasn’t great, but it wasn’t terrible because it was pretty close to my best time. My 200 free was pretty bad because I didn’t warm up enough for it. Also on Friday, I got a picture with Olympian Matt Greivers which was super exciting. He’s hugely tall so it’s a pretty funny picture because he is six feet eight inches tall and I’m about five feet six inches tall. On Saturday, which was the last day of the meet, I only swam the 200 back and it went okay. I went a new best time but I’m a little disappointed because I should have gone much faster than I did. Then, on Sunday, I had to get up at three fifty-five in the morning to catch my flight home at five forty.

No comments:

Post a Comment