Monday, February 15, 2010

class

I have noticed that our class allusions are riddled with stuff from Greek mythology. Now I use to be a fan of Greek mythology so I know a lot of what we are talking about, such as the apple of discord or the Trojan War references. I guess I should talk about my thoughts of this religion overall. I for one enjoy its stories as simple fiction, it is filled with actions and (my personal favorite attribute in anything with a plot) a lot of characters with history. Despite all of these pluses of Greek mythology, I do not see it as something that could ever be imagined, there is absolutely nothing about Greek mythology that could even be considered rational (except maybe the fact that if you get stabbed you will probably die).
Growing up, I have always been dazzled by the complexities of the heroes of Greek mythology; how they all have different origins and how they are revered for different things (that the stories made explicitly clear). Greek mythology is probably the only so-called series that actually have cohesive characters that have pretty complex histories. These characters are largely heroes and gods and goddesses. Each of them have their own characteristic and history (Greek mythology is probably the only series that correctly develop characters’ back stories). This makes characters in Greek mythology very easy to identify. We all know that Zeus is a womanizer. We all know Hera is a jealous sister wife of Zeus. We all know Aphrodite is, well, a successful yet failed seducer. Another thing that I like about Greek mythology is the amount of characters in it. There are literally hundreds (each could be its own allusion).
Although Greek mythology serves as a very entertaining series of stories, it does have some hiccups. Greek mythology just does not seem feasible. I mean, sure, it’s a mythology and it is suppose to be unbelievable, but what I am talking about is UNBELIEVABLE. Just how do people come up with these stories is a paradox. So in order to express my thoughts of how ridicules these Greek stories are, I will know launch into a slew of rhetorical questions and, perhaps, sarcasms. In Greek mythology, towards the beginning in fact, there was a god. He at his children. One day, one of his children made his barf all of his children out. Right. Ridiculous. Also who would think of people being born out of someone’s head? Or even, the goddess of sex and love is born asexually out of a clam shell (or a rock in some versions)? And whose idea was it to marry the most beautiful goddess to the ugliest god? Even better, who would make a god look ugly? Why does Zeus have so many wives? Why do the gods fight each other? And whose idea was it to set rules for gods?
Well those are my thoughts about Greek mythology. They are really entertaining and they have really great stories, but they just don’t make an ounce of sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment