Sunday, February 21, 2010

Febuary 21, 2010

It was only eight days ago that Thespian Troupe #7451 left Columbus, Georgia. Yet, it honestly feels like it was eons ago that ThesCon’10 happened. For the first time ever I did sound tech for a musical and it’s a good thing for me to find out now that I have no future in it. Working on the musical this week was a really hard learning experience for me. It may have been the mics we were using or the set up, I can honestly say I don’t know, but the sound just didn’t work out has planned. The musical was amazing and the actors were phenomenal... I just hope that the audience could see that even with the wretched sound job that was going on. It wasn’t that sound was hard to do; it was that when the mics didn’t work the responsibility of this failure landed on the sound person. Which is totally true but it just leaves one feeling a little bit helpless and I that’s an inky feeling. It was also really frustrating to kind of be a go between person. I am not good with confrontation and I would much prefer that people do their own dirty work but that’s not always how things works out. I mean I wouldn’t take back this last week though, I mean I definitely learned a lot and gained valuable life experience.

I sometimes forget just how passionate about Theater you have to be to put things together like Glenn, Mrs. Polaski, Mrs. Fossum, Taylor, and Abby did over these last few months. They dedicated so much effort and time to Guys and Dolls and their hard work showed in the way they conducted themselves in every situation. For some people shows are what Theater is all about but it’s really so much more than that. It’s the rehearsal process and the backstage stuff that really makes every little thing about Theater so important. I am so amazed by how wonderful these people are and I have so much respect for them that it saddens me to know that their hard work was in some way diminished by something I had a part in. There are times when the word sorry just doesn’t really fix anything and this definitely one of these times.

It’s weird the way time flies, on some level I am really happy that things can calm down again but I also know that Guys and Dolls is most likely the last show this year I’ll have anything to do with. I am so happy to have been given the opportunities I was given this year though. I’ve met amazing people who I wouldn’t have met if it wasn’t for everything I’ve been a part of. There’s hope that new clubs will be created for the performing arts later this year and hopefully in the future this school won’t just focus on it’s athletes but acknowledge it’s also an amazing performing arts school as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment