Sunday, February 21, 2010

Journal 7B
Robert Overholt

Having to read one boring book in High School is almost a guarantee. Reading two boring books in a year is manageable. But, reading two boring books at the same time is what kids call H-E-Double Hockey Sticks. Mr. Glenn has devised a master plan that has our AP Lang class reading two books at the same time—The Great Gatsby and As I Lay Dying. There is no conceivable way that William Faulkner had a childhood. He is so incredibly dry and depressing, that it takes me a good three to four minutes to read a single page of his book. I read one line…think about…think to myself, “this makes no sense”… read it again…then tell myself, “it’s okay nobody else will get it either,”… then keep going to the next line. This process has been repeated for about eighty pages. F. Scott Fitzgerald is a slightly different story, both literally and metaphorically speaking.

I would like to withdraw my previous statement that The Great Gatsby is a boring novel because in all honesty I somewhat enjoy reading it. Gatsby has a certain sinister quality about him that makes you want to get to know him. Fitzgerald does an admirable job in characterizing Gatsby to have these qualities. I don’t yet understand how Nick can be in love with Jordan. She seems like such an immature little twerp. Nick shows composure and good morals and specifically states that he is tired of immature people. I have a feeling that there will take place some event that will spark his interest in her that I have not yet read.

I am pleased that we have not had a quiz in a while. I feel like when there is not a quiz I actually understand what I read better. I read without pressure and am able to understand the content. When I know that there is going to be a quiz I feel like I have to memorize every little detail and I don’t get the major theme developments that go along with the reading. I like the quizzes that Mr. Glenn does orally, however. Those seem like they involve less pressure, and as a result I do well on them. It is hard to do well on the paper quizzes because if you misinterpret or forget one minute detail that is included on the quiz, then you are already down to at least a B. Not cool…
I am turning into a fan of daily allusions. At first I was a little skeptical of their use, but now I am sold. I can’t even say how many times I have heard an allusion on TV or in the movies that I would not have otherwise known without the daily allusions. I have heard many remarks about Big Brother and “cogito ergo sum.” My favorite allusion is drinking the kool-aid. I think it is insane how one man can mislead over nine-hundred people. Don’t drink the kool-aid if a psycho man named Jim Jones made it!

No comments:

Post a Comment