Thursday, January 21, 2010

Class, Class.

Television is a drug. Television ruins family lives. This is what we discussed in class a few days ago. (Not what the class said, but what the essay said, of course). Personally, I think that television is sometimes a good thing. In my experience, I have never encountered a time where the television created a rift in the family. We have probably six televisions in our house, and not all of them are used every day. Probably two or three are. When they are in use, it is usually late at night, never during the day. If I ever am watching TV during the day, my dad usually asks me why I am wasting the day. That is my queue to turn the TV off and do something more eventful, like staring at a wall.
My family argues and talks a lot, sometimes I think too much. We each have our views (usually me and my dad versus my sister and my mom) and we all extremely enjoy expressing them. So to say that T.V. takes away from this interaction is not true. For my family, the T.V. is almost a last resort to get away the noise (like it was mentioned in the essay), but it has no negative effect. It also reads that television is a good way to avoid conflict and conversation. When you’re watching T.V. you are not in a glass bubble that no one can enter into. If someone wants to say something, they can walk up and talk. You will get the occasional whine of “SH! I CAN’T HEAR”. Well, news flash, there is a power button! It may be considered rude to interrupt someone’s television viewing, but honestly if you really had something to say or bring up you can do it. Also you aren’t watching TV twenty four hours a day, so chances are you’re going to have to face your issues anyway.
(Now I’m trying to remember what other essays we had to read).
There was On Being a Cripple. I really liked that story, actually. It wasn’t too long and not at all complicated. She got her point across and wasn’t letting her disability completely rule her life. Then there was the essay we had to read tonight: A Crime of Compassion. This I also enjoyed. When someone is on life support and is just begging to die, then they should have the right to die. Why should we take that away? Just because we have the power to keep people living forever with machines, it doesn’t mean that we should always use it. I know if I were lying on my deathbed, having to be resuscitated more than three times a day, I would just want to move on. If there is absolutely no hope of life left, then the plug should probably be pulled. Not being able to do anything with no chance of survival is no life at all. What’s the point in keeping the person in constant pain?
The essays this week were all decent (except for the maybe the Descartes one) and I can’t wait to see what we have in store for tomorrow. Meeting at the auditorium? Wear clothes that you can get a little dirty? This will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment