Sunday, January 24, 2010

Class Entry 1/24/10-Callie Corday

Friday, instead of going to the regular room, the class met in the drama room. I had no idea what to expect. I was kind of hoping we would be acting. I guess, in a way, we did. After class started, Mr. Glenn told us sit down at the end of the drama room. Then, we were told to put our legs behind us. It was almost as if we were mermaids. Mr. Glenn then explained what we were supposed to do, while demonstrating it. We were supposed to crawl to the other side of the room without using legs or arms. It was actually quite challenging.

After we had reached the other side, we needed to grab a colored pencil and a sheet of paper. When everyone had a sheet of paper, we were instructed to take off our left shoe. We then had to write our names only using our foot. It was gross. I hate feet. A little bit later, we realized that people actually have to write with their feet because they are not able to use their hands. That is sad, and it makes me feel bad for them. We watched part of a movie about Christy Brown, who actually had to write with his left foot.

Mr. Glenn made us all draw a self-portrait, but the catch was that we couldn’t use our hand. I tied my colored pencil around my wrist, and it was not so bad. Ciara’s drawing was amazing, and so was Raphael’s drawing. I lack that talent. When we finished drawing, we had a chance to walk around to see what everyone else did. Everyone sat back down after a few minutes and that is when we started to get a little more serious.

We watched part of a movie about a Spanish man who was paralyzed from the neck down. He was injured from a diving accident. Instead of living and coping with it, he wanted, so badly, to die. He went to court and lost, but eventually, he found people that would help him die. We watched his death scene. It was on the morbid side, but I found it interesting. The only thing that bothered me was that his last words, or should I say word, was “hot.” I think that was a waste of his last words. I find last words really interesting.

For the poem that we all had to write, I was at a loss of words. I did not know how to prevent someone from wanting to die. I am the type of person that would say one thing, and the person would take it the wrong way. I guess never come to me if you want to get cheered up. On a different note, I believe we use the words “cripple” or “retarded” too lightly. In society today, we do not use the words in the proper context, but instead, as a joking name, if you will. It isn’t funny, and we should think about how these people that we are reading about would react.

No comments:

Post a Comment