Sunday, January 24, 2010

Look! Another entry about class on Friday. Sorry Mr. Glenn but the creative juices are simply not flowing. Enjoy.

This week in class I particularly appreciated the humorous but very enlightening activities on Friday. I still fail to see what the real purpose was to us flopping across the floor with our elbows other than to provide Mr. Glenn with a healthy dose of laughter. I do really wish that someone had taken a picture, it would have been amazing. Anyway, once we began watching movie clips and vainly attempting to write our names on neon colored sheets of paper I began to truly reflect how blessed we are to be physically and mentally healthy.

Needless to say, my attempt at writing my name and drawing my portrait was quiet literally an “epic fail” and I even received the wonderful complement of “oh my gosh Elizabeth. You look like a man!”
“Oh thanks”
“I meant in your picture!”
“Oh thanks”
That was only one clip of the humor.
But the true importance of the day was simply appreciating what I have; working arms, legs, fingers, toes, each. Every functioning piece of human flesh is a blessing that can be swiftly and easily stripped away. As we watched the movie clips I was truly able to appreciate the power and complexity of the human body and admire the strength of those who find ways to excel in a world simply not made to fit their needs. There have been many artists who have disabilities but few are able to achieve art that is so beautiful and precise that it could easily rival works of artists who are not effected by such physical impairments. These artists have achieved far more than could ever be expected from any human being and for that we owe them our respect. I am aware that some people with handicaps refuse to think of themselves as having a disadvantage and that kind of attitude, combined with brilliant talent, is what enables them to excel.
Yet there are also those, like the poet who simply wished to die, who do not see a reason to continue living. Although I do not agree that they should call forth death I do believe that they deserve much more respect than they often receive. All humans deserve to be seen as individuals; each with their own desires, needs, and dreams. People who are physically confined to a wheelchair or even a bed and choose to spend life wishing that it was over deserve no less respect than any other human being. In fact, they should be encouraged and aided in any way that is possible. Simply because some do not take on a nearly impossible challenge does not mean that they are any less brave or any less human, they simply have a different way of coping with their personal difficulties.

Thank you for the class on Friday. It truly helped me to better connect with the unit and reach a better appreciation and respect for those who chose to thrive despite the odds that have been stacked against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment