Monday, January 18, 2010

Journal 2A
Robert Overholt

As I tried to explain to Mr. Glenn, basketball consumed my schedule this weekend. As a result, I was unfortunately unable to attend the modern adaptation of Julius Caesar. Of course, I was devastated at this loss both because I missed out on Mr. Glenn’s truly phenomenal directing work and I was unable to get bonus points for attending the play. Tragic… almost more so then the play itself! Yet, my hope is that by writing this review about the recent play, Julius Caesar, as well as the play I saw over the summer at Lambert High School, Othello. Maybe Mr. Glenn will be generous and grant me a few bonus points if I make the effort?
First off, my favorite play by Shakespeare (not really saying much…) is by far Julius Caesar. Of all of the Shakespeare that I have read, I think Julius Caesar is the only play with action, save the one act in Romeo and Juliet where everyone goes suicidal. This play is centralized around a plot that I can comprehend because Caesar actually existed in history. The Elizabethan language is also not as strong in this play, making it easier to understand. I would have loved to see the modern adaptation that Mr. Glenn put together to catch the twists and spins on Shakespeare’s original, but that didn’t happen. I heard that the play Mr. Glenn directed was something else. Other classmates that were able to attend the showing over the weekend said that it was creative and intriguing. The modernization of the themes and plot was a hit to the audience. Once again, I regret to say that I missed out on the action of Shakespeare’s finest.
Despite the fact I was unable to make it to this recent play, I did drive thirty minutes to Lambert High School this summer to watch Mr. Glenn direct Othello. This play was phenomenal, and I’m not just sucking up because I know Mr. Glenn is reading this. The characters did a laudable job in performing such a complicated play. Included in the show were creative twists to help the audience comprehend certain scenes. For example, they had brief intermissions between each scene where two characters discussed what happened in the scene. There was also a bell that the audience could ring if they didn’t catch what a certain line meant. The audience was also included in the wardrobe. Each person admitted received a white piece of cloth to represent the sameness of the society in which Othello lived. All of these creative attributes aided in the overall presentation. I was impressed with not only the talent of the actors, but also the creativity and details that were involved in the entire production. Bravo.
The drive to Lambert was worth it. Popcorn and Shakespeare is an addicting combination. I regret that I was unable to make it to the play this weekend, but I’m hoping this journal and my visit to see Othello for no bonus points will do the trick and earn me some bonus. It would be greatly appreciated (and needed).

No comments:

Post a Comment