Monday, January 18, 2010

Journal Entry

It is Martin Luther King, Jr. day, which means no school, and here I sit at my desk on my day off to write my AP Language blog entries for the week. It is not exactly the ideal way to spend my day but I gotta do what I gotta do. As I reflect back on the week and try to find something to write about nothing too exciting pops in my head. This was our first full week back to school after our winter break and our three day week last week. All of my classes have kicked back in and that meant that I had a lot more homework and other things to do this week. Because this was our first five day week and my teachers started to pile on the work again, I was really happy for the week to end. On Friday, my mom had a simple out-patient surgery for her cancer. During the day on Friday I tried to stay as focused on school as possible but I sometimes found myself distracted and worrying about other things. This was an easy surgery so I knew she was going to be fine but when you know your mom is in surgery, you still worry about her health and safety. My step-dad was texting me throughout the day letting me know what was going on and how she was doing, and during 6th period, I was able to call her and talk to her.

When someone in your family, especially someone like your mom, becomes ill with cancer, your whole life changes completely. I have always been used to my mom taking care of me but now I am the one taking care of her. It is extremely hard to see my mom the way she is now because I know that her fight is not close to being over and that there is a long road to recovery. People ask me how I am handling this whole situation and the honest answer is that I don’t really know how I am handling it. Some days are harder than others but the idea is always looming in the back of my head. I try to stay busy with school and other stuff to keep my mind off of it but I want to be there for her whenever she needs me. My friends have been really helpful and supportive through this hard time, especially my friend Lindsey. I spend a lot of time with her and she always helps me to stay positive. She is a great person to talk to and I don’t know what I would do without her. Her family has let me stay at their house when my mom is in the hospital and they have welcomed me with open arms. I never really intended to get my friends involved with this chapter in my life but I am glad they have because they have helped me immensely. This is a chapter in my life that I hope will make me and my family closer and stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment