Monday, January 18, 2010

Movies Books and the Like

I finally finished reading Barrel Fever at the end of winter break. I say finally because, though some essays were enjoyable others were unbearably graphic and I was a little thrown off. For some mysterious reason (that reason being that this book is like 39 lbs) I decided to start a different book instead of picking back up with Infinite Jest. It’s rather disconcerting when the book I’m reading weighs more than I do, so I’m planning on just reading it on days I’m home instead of taking it when I’m going somewhere. Anyway, I began reading this book The Unbearable Lightness of Being, which is long over due considering it has been sitting in front of me for nearly a year. I felt obligated to read it since Bright Eye’s named a song after two of the characters and my friend keeps bringing it up and it’s a movie which I’d kind of like to see.
So, a week or two ago I opened it and read the first chapter. I was not very impressed. The book started by immediately mentioning Nietzsche and Robespierre so I immediately thought “Oh God, no wonder Nick has been begging me to read this, it’s all about philosophy” but it turns out with the start of chapter three comes the start of a story about Tereza and Tomas, who, of course, that wonderful 20 minute long Bright Eyes is named for. So it’s pretty good and I like it a whole lot better than that other book I read by him which I think I enjoyed at the time but I don’t recall it too fondly. Run on sentence, hoorah. So, Saturday night I watched The Hurt Locker, which was absolutely amazing and it’s definitely made my top 10 movie list, among other movies that I’m failing to remember. I love that it was directed by a woman. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a war movie that was directed by a woman so that was an interesting change. Also, the main character, at first, seemed like someone who couldn’t carry my attention to the movie and I thought that it was doomed. But alas, it turns out he was rather charismatic in a fairly antisocial way which, in my opinion, is the best way to be charismatic. So, all in all, fairly fantastic movie.
So last night I watched the first two hours of Watchmen. I can’t say I enjoyed it as much as The Hurt Locker but I suppose it sufficed for the evening. I can’t decide whether I should even finish it though, it was just rather boring. It required patience, just as Sufjan Steven requires patience. A 74 minute album?! I can’t decide if this is a blessing or a curse. I think, in moderation, I can stand to listen to him do his whole feminine thing but I just don’t know. I like folk music, but he’s not really a folk artist. Well, I suppose he is, but more in theory than in reality, if that makes any sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment