Monday, January 18, 2010

The Golden Ball

In class this week my favorite reading was “Iron John” by Robert Bly. It was the one piece of writing that really made me think. The idea that at some point in our lives we all lose our Golden Ball infuriated me; partly because I’m afraid that it’s true. After doing the reading I started really listening to the things that people were saying to me and I realized that even teenagers seemed to have lost their Golden Ball. So my question is how do you know when your losing it or when it’s lost so you can let the wild man out and get your ball back?

Lets say that someone has lost their ball, what are the signs that it’s lost? How can people themselves be aware that they’ve lost it? Does everything seem less new or less entertaining? Are the adventures that present themselves ignored unintentionally? I think that the reading brought up a valid point but it only left me with more questions then I had when I started the reading; which seems to be the way things work in AP Lang, but whose complaining? Well, I’m complaining but that’s a different problem; my dissatisfaction with AP Lang is unrelated to the issue I currently have. With that in mind I want to know how people are supposed to be actively aware of the location of their ball. Whether it’s in their possession, rolling away, or already lost I think that people should be able to know what relationship they have to the ball and the choice to alter their relationship with it to make them happy.

Aside from the questions that the reading left me with, other things were more of brain candy reading. Like “Why I Stopped Being a Vegetarian” was completely entertaining and worth reading twice. The diction and tone were right up my alley and I enjoyed it immensely. Even more exciting is the fact that I now have a new movie that I really want to watch; which says so much about so much if you really think about it.

Moving on though I find that I am at a loss to explain anymore from this previous week and I still have little under one-hundred and fifty words to go. I guess if I really think hard about it though, I find that I enjoy the daily allusions way more than those words of the day. I am also really really stoked that I even knew some of them. I mean that’s really why I like them so much because I feel like I have more a chance to prove my competence. Which lets be honest I have to work really hard to prove. Yet, I can’t say that I dig this five hundred word thing because I don’t always have five hundred words to describe class or my life. Well, yeah I pretty much always have five hundred words but not five hundred words I want my classmates to read. With all these things included thought I can say that class this week was definitely a positive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment