Monday, January 18, 2010

Julius Caesar and Prom

This week was definitely a really good week. I was part of a show that contained some of the most amazing people I’ve ever met. It was a success in that sense alone. If it hadn’t of been for Julius Caesar I may not have been reminded of how much I love not only performing but being with people who love to perform as well. Every person in the cast of Julius Caesar is someone that I can honestly say I enjoyed spending time with. Even more amazing was working with a new director who is honestly one of the coolest people I’ve ever seen/met. Then there was getting to hear a new friend’s experience of going through a show for the first time and then hearing another close friend’s experience of being stage manager for the first time. While I remember my first time for each of these things; it’s so remarkable to hear their trials. The best part of this show for me personally was being a part of it, though. Until Thursday night the most I’d ever performed Shakespeare was in a classroom setting. Getting to expand my acting experience was the most rewarding part of this for me and the people I met along the way only made it better. I feel so lucky and grateful that I got to be part of such an amazing adventure and while I’m sad that it’s over I know that there will be another adventure soon enough.

I’d be lying if I left the impression that just performing in Julius Caesar was my favorite part. This weekend I had close family friends from North Carolina, a best friend, and my family come see the show and hearing their reactions was one of my favorite parts. My best friend is one of my favorite actors (but I’m totally bias) and so her opinion means the world to me. She’s study Shakespeare for a long time and very intensely so I was considerably nervous about what she was going to say. The good news being that she absolutely loved it! I forget sometimes just how important the after part of the show is to me when I get all wrapped up in the atmosphere of being backstage. Yet, hearing their feelings about the show reminds me that I’m performing not only for myself but for others as well.

Beyond the all encompassing world of theatre my week was also made wonderful by the field trip I went on to see where Prom will be held this year. I can honestly say that I am truly stoked for Prom and that anyone who goes will understand the respect that the Junior Class Council has for this event. There’s going to be chocolate fountains, mhocktini bars, highboys, a beautitul fountain, and more. This Black and White Affair will leave every attendee breathless. I know I sound like an infomercial for Prom but I am just so excited that I’m a part of creating it and that I know just how amazing this event is going to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment