Sunday, January 17, 2010

Scool play

When the subject of Shakespeare comes up in a conversation, two major reactions are typically brought up, either interest or extreme boredom. Most students can not understand the language in which these famous plays and works of literature are written in. this is a contributing actor to the innate dread most students have when the unit on Shakespeare is brought up in class.
This weekend, to gain the extra credit for language, that I desperately needed, Julia and I went to the drama department’s representation of Shakespeare’s Who Killed Julius Caesar. To help out at the production, Julia and I offered to be ushers. To do so, I arrived at the John’s Creek auditorium early to pass papers out and help in any way possible.
After accomplishing this job assigned, I went into the actual auditorium to be surprised to find the seating in an unexpected location, the stage. As I first registered that the seats would be on the same level as the performance, I hurried to find a remaining place to sit. Sadly though, it seemed there were no more open seats. Then, however, due to some one’s good idea, benches were brought in and new seats created. As I took my set, the lights began to dim and I anticipated the performance beginning.
At first, the lack of stage props had me slightly worried that the show would be boring. Once everything got started though, all worries were calmed. The actors commanded the performance and soon I was lost within a classic tale of betrayal and murder but with a new twist. The plot was set within a high school setting.
Through the modern twist, the interpretation of the classic play was easily understood. I felt drawn into the setting and understood all the cast was trying to project. The mix of old English and the modern little phrases helped me understand everything going on in the plot. Most of the time, in Shakespearian plays, I don’t understand anything and I dread having to listen to over dramatic actors dragging out all of the strange words. It is almost like listening to another language.
The actors on the school play were so interesting to watch. The almost spilt personality of the main characters made everything pretty much unpredictable to me, because I haven’t read the play and was unfamiliar with the story line. The one crazy girl was so entertaining to watch. I unfortunately can’t remember the name of the character. But she was my favorite. I really enjoyed the intriguing change from murderous schemer to a quiet outcast and everywhere in between.
When the play came to its climax with the murder of Caesar, I was entranced with the performance. The effects were unexpected but exciting. The fake blood poring over the hands of the cast was slightly frightening and morbid but extremely enjoyable and perfectly dramatic. With the intermission, I found myself waiting and wanting the play to continue instead of the waiting. Soon enough the play resumed, and once again I was lost in the twists and turns revolving around these historical figures.
After about two very swift hours, the play came to a close. I left the audience and made my way out to the car. The whole way home, I could not stop thinking about what I had seen. This play was actually and surprisingly good for a simple school production.

No comments:

Post a Comment