Sunday, January 10, 2010

Journal 01.10.10

This Friday was an expected snow day. Most people will agree that as soon as they got home on Thursday, they didn’t even unpack their backpacks and sat in front of the computer to check the weather every ten minutes. But as the time went by I started to feel worried. Neither Fulton County nor Johns Creek High School was on the list, and the time was already nine. So I finally opened up my textbooks and started on my homework. Around 10:30 after finishing everything, I got ready to sleep with a depressed mood. When I took a last look at the window expecting white snowflakes falling down, there was nothing but pitch darkness. Feeling depressed and stressed about how much weekend work I would be getting, I went to bed earlier than the usual time. Of course, sleep isn’t a thing that comes when it is needed; I felt so wide awake and stared at the ceiling for a very long time. That is when my phone started to vibrate, enough to make me think it was a phone call instead of text messages. The first message I got said ‘Fulton County Schools Closed!!!!!’ so I could easily guess what the rest of the text messages would be about. First my mind went blank, and then the tense moments of looking through the school closing list went through my mind. I started to regret doing my homework and got out of the bed. It was not the right time to sleep.
I turned on my laptop and found several movies that I have wanted to watch. It was hard to decide on which movie to watch, but I finally reached the conclusion to watch the movie Up. It was a very cute movie with colorful images, but it wasn’t long enough to make me feel like I spent a nice snow day night. It is always hard to decide on what to do when I actually have time; but during the busy school days, everything seems fun and exciting. Eventually I went back to bed and laid there playing with my iPod.
When I woke up the next morning, I looked outside the window to see how much snow there were. I had to laugh. Last winter I was in Iowa, where snow is like an every day thing. We went to school when the snow was piled up to the knee. Of course, the big snowplow was there every morning at 5 AM to clean the whole road nice and clean, also adding salt on the way so there would be no accidents happening because of the slippery road. In order to get a snow day in Iowa, there had to be freezing rain, not snow; the road itself freezing was the best thing we hoped to happen during the winter. But Georgia, with a very thin layer of snow piled up, decided to close schools. It was nice to have a snow day, but I wish we can actually have enough snow on a snow day.

No comments:

Post a Comment